How to keep safe your data over time,
This question is coming up with my « digital » photos, everday we take pictures and everyday we have more and more pixels so bigger and bigger files …. But were to put them and how be sure not to lose them.
After some researchs I found this GREAT article about How to keep safe your data over time ?
To resume 5 solutions:
« 4 routes for setting up a plan to keep your data safe over time…. go for DVDs, go for online storage (I’ll take JungleDisk as an example), go for online Backup (I’ll take Mozy as an example) or go for an external USB disk drive. »
– CD/DVD monthly burning –> cheap but boring (15$/3 years)
– online storage –> Expensive (500$/3 years) and complexe but use it everywhere
– online backup –> no to expensive (150$/3 years) and automatic🙂
– external hard drive –> middle price but you need to plug it and think about the monthly copy –> 100$ for 120 G but decreasing
– you do nothing and pray :’ (
From my side il going to try the Mozy solution for 2 years it will only cost my only 103$ because it can be automised
after visiting a friend I have change my mind I’m going to buy a external drive from WD: My Book® World Edition™ II with 2 TERA of space.
Why ? it’is simple solution with:
– RAID system and 2 hard drive of 1 tera so they are copying each other to avoid any lost
– no manual copy, no upload
– accessibility no link to an specific PC because it has an ethernet connection and it’s own power
But it’s expensive (around 400 euros) but 100% secure and fast